Why Kailua is good for our health
For the 4th year in a row, the Aloha State tops the list of America’s healthiest states.
The report, put out by the United Health Foundation, ranks Hawaii the best thanks to its low prevalence of obesity, low rates of preventable hospitalizations, and few poor mental health days claimed by its residents. (one could argue that is because we can’t afford to take days off!)
We have two seasons: summer (May to October) and winter (November to April) with an average temperature between 78-85° Fahrenheit. Kailua’s location and beautiful beaches and hikes are blessed with plenty of sunlight which has many health factors.
- Sleep – Sunlight can actually improve your sleep by making sure it maintains the normal 24-hour sun cycle.
- Mood – Sunlight increases your body’s natural feel-good chemicals like serotonin and melatonin. Serotonin contributes to feelings of happiness and well-being, while melatonin—best known for regulating sleep cycles—acts as a powerful antioxidant and can imbue you with feelings of comfort. Often when people feel depressed, the Dr. will tell them to go sit in the sun, it is faster acting than any anti-depressent.
- Vitamin D – Getting sun plays an integral role in the processing and production of vitamin D. Vitamin D is really important for the absorption of calcium, and overal protects against many diseases, including heart disease, osteoporosis, and several forms of cancer.
- Exercise – Our amazing weather, famous beaches, hikes and other water sports give us numerous choices of outdoor activities to stay healthy
- Diet – The typical Kailua diet offers many choices for fundamental vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. We have an amazing assortment of fresh and saltwater fish, and thanks to all the farmers markets we have plenty of fresh fruit, legumes and vegetables. Not to mention our ideal windward weather allows us to maintain thriving year round organic gardens. And most of our restaurants source all local fresh produce so eating out is also a health option.
Kailua State of Mind
There is no doubt, Kailua has passionate people. There are many diverse groups, all with different perspectives and how they choose to spend their energy and live Kailua. Some are having difficult with all the growth and changes. While others don’t seem to mind.
The fact is that those who are choosing to be more positive are living healthier and longer. Those who are choosing to be grateful for all the small and big things with their typical day will attest that the universe-at-large seems to send more positive experiences their way.
Essentially the experiences you focus on are the experiences you will have.
If you woke up saying “I need to go to the store but the traffic is going to be crazy, there are tourist everywhere, everything is so expensive”.
Try changing your perspective and see if that helps change your day to day experiences. “I am Glad to be alive, look how beautiful a day it is, I am so grateful for my health and my family.”
If you don’t believe the science in how staying positive is good for you, then just look at the living examples right here. Our Kailua Kupuna are living into their 90’s and 100’s!
In fact it was the wise words of one very well known Kailua resident inspired my family to change their Kailua state of mind. Herb Weatherwax shared his secret to living a long life in Kailua and taking his advice has changed our lives.
Enjoy, and have a Kailua Kinder Day!